SPACE is proud to announce the launch this winter of a new creative workspace facility and cultural venue at 37 Queen Street, Colchester, Essex. 37 Queen Street will provide artist studios, co-working desk space and networking facilities for creative and digital businesses, artists and makers.
SPACE is a leading visual arts organisation based in East London. It runs 18 artist studio buildings across seven London boroughs, providing affordable creative workspace and support programmes. This is SPACE’s first expansion outside the capital and it is a key part of its long-term strategy to develop a creative industries production corridor linking East London with Essex.
37 Queen Street will offer 40 studios across nearly 12,000 sq. ft. of lettable space complete with ultrafast broadband connectivity, café facilities and an outdoor courtyard space. SPACE will develop the site as a hub for emerging creative enterprises in Colchester as well as an alternative ecosystem for creative businesses, including artists, who may otherwise gravitate to London. The fit out has been designed to a high specification by Ash Sakula Architects.
Anna Harding, Chief Executive of SPACE, said: “This great new facility is due to open in autumn 2016 and will be at the heart of the emerging creative quarter in St Botolph’s. SPACE is looking forward to developing partnerships with our neighbours Firstsite, the Minories, Colchester Institute and the new Curzon cinema.”
Councillor Tim Young, Portfolio Holder for Regeneration and Culture, said: “I am extremely excited to appoint such an experienced and knowledgeable operator to bring forward the Old Police Station. I believe SPACE have the skills and the networks to build a really successful creative hub for growing businesses.”
Councillor Kevin Bentley, Essex County Council Cabinet Member for Economic Growth and Partnerships, said: “I am delighted to see the appointment of SPACE as operator of the new Creative Business Centre. This significant development takes us another step closer to establishing what will be an exciting hub for businesses in this sector, driving economic growth and creating new jobs for Colchester and the surrounding area.”
Sally Shaw, Director at Firstsite, said: “We’re thrilled to welcome SPACE to the creative community in Colchester. I’m excited to see the talent, ideas and works that will emerge over the coming months and look forward to developing a very positive partnership to bolster the booming creative hub we have here.”
For further information please contact Christine Jakobson, Communications Manager, SPACE email@example.com or 020 8525 4330
- SPACE has unparalleled expertise in creative space management with nearly 50 years’ experience managing 18 studio buildings across seven London boroughs
- SPACE are experts in delivering specialist business support to the creative sector
- The Colchester site is strategically positioned less than one hour from London Liverpool Street and close to the M11 innovation corridor, which begins in East London and runs from Essex to Cambridgeshire
- The tenant mix at 37 Queen Street will range from artist-makers requiring flexible studio space to more desk-based creatives such as illustrators, designers, designer-makers, programmers, developers, technologists, digital media creatives and fast-growing technology startups
- 37 Queen Street is designed with the freelance economy in mind - providing project-based and freelance creatives with high-quality desk space, state-of-the-art facilities, a flexible work environment and plenty of social networking opportunities
- SPACE’s vision is to establish 37 Queen Street as a key player in Colchester’s emerging creative digital ecosystem and as an attractive alternative to London
- SPACE is currently recruiting for a locally-based General Manager to oversee the building and direct its broad range of activities. Please apply here
- Prospective tenants can register their interest here
- Viewing dates and Open Days will be announced soon
- Ultrafast broadband connectivity
- Desk space and meeting rooms will be available at 37 Queen Street
- SPACE is looking for a partner to set up a dedicated incubator bursary awards
- SPACE is looking for a café/bar tenant at 37 Queen Street. For further information please contact Robert McKay Forbes, Properties Manager, SPACE firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 8525 4330