SPACE is excited to commission an artist to create a new work for the hoardings of the former Harrison Gibson building in Ilford.
The selected artwork will make a positive impact on the High Road in Ilford and will be on display for approximately six months. The image/s will be printed onto vinyl on aluminium and will become a feature of the high street in the evening as well as during the day as it will be lit from the top of the hoardings.
Who can apply
Artists who live or work in Redbridge or who have a relationship to the borough.
How to apply
Application Stage 1
Initially we are inviting artists to come forward with an expression of interest.
Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday 2 March, midnight
- You name
- Your relationship to Redbridge
One of the following:
- link to your artwork via website, social media or
- a pdf of 6 images of your artwork
Tips for applying
We want to make the process as easy as possible so we won’t ask artists to put forward a full proposal until the second stage.
Send images that you think are a good representation of your artwork and would be typical of what you might propose.
The selection will be based upon artists whose work we think will make a positive and impactful addition to the High Road and the Ilford community.
Application Stage 2
After the deadline, SPACE will select six artists who will be paid a fee of £250 and will be supported by SPACE to put forward a proposal to the selection panel.
Artists will be notified as soon as possible if they are requested to do this.
Deadline for expressions of interest: Wednesday 2 March, midnight
From Thursday 3 March
- Selection of six applications to be taken forward to the next stage.
From Monday 7 March TBC
- Site visit to hoardings for the artists.
- Artists will meet Karen Davies, SPACE Head of Artist Development to view the hoardings and to answer any questions regarding application for those pitching.
- Artists will then be given time to put together an application proposal to go before a wider panel.
End of March
- Commissioned artist will be selected.
- Artist fee £1,500
- £2,500 towards research time and creation of the work, materials costs, site visits (before and during install), execution of the work (including working with graphic designer) and to be present at any launch event.
Please note: the production budget is separate from the artist’s fee.