THE DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS HAS NOW CLOSED
Full Time, Permanent, 5 days a week including Saturday
Place of work: SPACE Ilford
Working hours: 9am – 5pm / 10am – 6pm
(work days will include evenings and weekends, anticipate Tuesday – Saturday and some late hours until 9pm)
Salary: £25,000 – £28,000 per annum
Report to: Head of Community Engagement Programmes
SPACE exists to support artists and small creative businesses; to nurture a strong network of artists; advocate for artists and demonstrate the impact of SPACE as a good long-term neighbour through our programmes.
SPACE has developed a reputation for its impactful work with the community through our Learning and Participation Programmes and Gallery exhibitions. We want to continue to build on this work and this role will be key in bringing the voices of our people and communities into the heart of what we do now and in the future. As the Community Engagement Coordinator, you will need to understand and reflect the diverse local community that makes Redbridge a rich place to live and work. While SPACE is an increasingly diverse staff and trustee board, we want this role to increase diversity in the small programmes team.
The Community Engagement Coordinator will support SPACE’s Community Engagement Strategy, supporting opportunities for diverse groups to engage with contemporary arts through a range of public programmes, workshops and events, supporting exchange and intercultural dialogue and ensuring that SPACE is a consistently welcoming social space for artists, audiences and community.
The Community Engagement Coordinator supports the community to co-produce exhibitions, work with artists, young people and community groups to realise ambitious and inclusive creative work.
The Community Engagement Coordinator will act as the first point of contact for all visitors/studio artists and users of SPACE Ilford and work closely with assisting the Head of Community Engagement Programmes and on audience monitoring, data collection, expenses, updating of contacts, ensuring events are compliant, working front of house, gallery and studio tours, social media promotions, supporting artists, as well as providing coordination and support for events and hires, public talks, schools and community workshops.
The Community Engagement Coordinator will also oversee our volunteers, assisting in volunteer recruitment and placement throughout the organisation, working alongside the Operations Director and opening pathways to a career in the visual arts.
This is an exciting time to be joining SPACE as the London Borough of Redbridge has been confirmed as a Creative People and Places (CPP) project from April 2022.
Gallery and Programme delivery
- Support the Head of Community Engagement Programmes to engage and nurture relationships with partners, organisations and communities in order to support the business strategy
- Maintain educational and community partnerships; working jointly with Head of Community Engagement programmes to create opportunities which positively contribute towards increasing participation, especially targeting underrepresented and unreached groups
- To be the first point of contact for enquiries
- To welcome and direct visitors to SPACE Ilford during gallery opening
- To ensure that the SPACE Ilford entrance is always supervised during opening hours
- To ensure the entrance area of the building, office and public spaces are safe, clean and well-maintained and that relevant publicity and promotional items are up to date
- Work collaboratively with apprentices and work experience placements to staff the gallery and workshops
- Responsible for data collection and the use of Audience Finder / collating feedback and surveys
- Writing risk assessments for public engagements and workshops
- Coordinate in the planning and delivery of programme activities, such as exhibitions, talks, debates, guided tours, workshops, and research
- Manage public events
- Assist in the installations and clearing of gallery exhibitions
- Provide hands-on assistance as required to artists on projects, workshops and engagement with communities
- Procuring items for the programme and office
- Assisting with budget management and expense claims
- Assist marketing and promotion of SPACE Ilford programmes
- To promote SPACE activities to social media, the public and stakeholders where appropriate in conjunction with the Communications Director and work collaboratively with the Head of Community Engagement Programmes on distributing local marketing materials to the public and stakeholders
- Oversee and supervise volunteers
- Be a good advocate for SPACE
- Support the Operations Director to recruit new volunteers
- Monitor all enquiries for volunteers
- To keep, and monitor the use of, site keys – opening and locking up duties expected
- To deal with outgoing and incoming post and deliveries
- Regularly input new SPACE contacts and SPACE members and ensure that existing contacts are updated and relevant
- Regularly input SPACE visitors’ attendance to events database
- Manage the office diary
- Use Google drive for filing documentation and emails
- To undertake duties proactively to a high standard, with attention to detail and accuracy
- To work in accordance with SPACE policies, aims and objectives
- To undertake duties with an awareness of the need to promote cost effective and efficient management, taking into account your post requirements and company finance as a whole
- To maintain confidentiality agreements and to conduct yourself in a professional manner during the course of your duties.
- Awareness of GDPR, compliance and security risks – training will be provided if required
- To demonstrate a willingness to undertake training as required for the development of the post and enhancement of the company’s skill base
- To engage with staff and clients of SPACE in a positive and constructive manner
- To attend staff and other SPACE meetings. Some meetings and training may be held outside of normal hours, repaid through time off in lieu (TOIL)
- To act in accordance with the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion policy and to contribute to and implement the SPACE cultural diversity action plan
- Provide hospitality to visitors and for workshops when required
- General office management and keeping the office safe, tidy and well presented.
- Any other tasks as requested by the Head of Community Engagement Programmes to support the business requirements and project delivery
- Support Operations Director with private hire engagements as required
- Ability to manage delegated tasks
- Be proactive and self-motivated
- Good organisational skills
- Good communication and numeracy skills
- Commitment to cultural diversity and equal opportunities
- Interest in/knowledge of the arts in outer London Boroughs
- Previous experience of working in the arts and/or events
- Good communication and willingness to talk to visitors
- Ability to use Google drive
- Driving licence
- You will be entitled to 25 days of paid leave (plus Bank Holidays) per annum
- You will be expected to work occasional evenings and weekends as required
We encourage applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and we are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities.
Deadline for completed applications: Sunday 13 February 2022, midnight
Interviews are scheduled for week commencing 21 February 2022
When you send your application to us, please make sure you enclose the following:
Please email completed applications to email@example.com
If you have any questions, or need assistance with your application, please contact us via email.
We may choose to close this job opportunity early if we receive a high volume of applications.