[ space.media.arts ] works with artists and communities using electronic media, encouraging the public to explore creative uses of technology by providing affordable workshops and open-access facilities. In addition, we co-produce innovative and high-impact public programmes and commissions that develop social awareness of technology in our communities, such as Bow Wireless and the Wireless and Mobile Technologies Workshops. We support the vastly increased demand for new technology by artists and local communities. We aim to be responsive to the fast-changing nature of technological practice and the increased uptake of accessible and emergent technology in the production of artistic content and methods of distribution. Building on our focus of moving image, emergent technology and working with young people, [ space.media.arts ] facilitates artistic innovation and experimentation by focusing on the following core objectives:
- Developing models of media arts training provision
- Building audience/participant bases
- Linking artists, arts organisations and local communities in east London
- Supporting mid-career media artists to develop media arts work
- Supporting emergent media artists or artists interested in deploying media arts in their practice
The projects section of this site features the enormous volume of activities and projects produced, particularly between 2005 and 2008. Visit a snapshot of the archived website here.